Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:52:40 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disappearing ports

> If you are running -stable, use RELENG_2_2 for src and no tag for
> ports.

What he really means is, use "tag=." for ports.  If you use no tag
at all, you'll get the RCS files instead of the latest version of
the sources.

About the consequences of using the wrong tag, all I can say is that
I long ago put warnings every place I could think of -- the example
cvsupfiles, the handbook, the cvsup manual page.  I also implemented
a safety limit on the number of files that can get deleted.  (See
cvsup(1)).  I don't know what else I could do, short of putting some
ugly FreeBSD-specific hack into the software (which I will not do).

John