Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:47:20 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: I386_CPU

I've requested a change for UPDATING:

	The kerrnel option I386_CPU is now mutually exclusive with the
	other cpu types. If you have an i386 system, be sure that it
	only had this line.  Remove it for all other configurations.

Note that this does not remove i386 support.  The actual commit message
follows:

  Modified files:
    sys/i386/conf        NOTES
    sys/i386/i386        identcpu.c machdep.c pmap.c support.s
    sys/pc98/conf        GENERIC
    sys/pc98/i386        machdep.c
  Log:
  Stop doing runtime checking on i386 cpus for cpu class.  The cpu is
  slow enough as it is, without having to constantly check that it really
  is an i386 still.  It was possible to compile out the conditionals for
  faster cpus by leaving out 'I386_CPU', but it was not possible to
  unconditionally compile for the i386.  You got the runtime checking whether
  you wanted it or not.  This change makes I386_CPU mutually exclusive with
  the other cpu types, and tidies things up a little in the process.

  Reviewed by:  alfred, markm, phk, benno, jlemon, jhb, jake, grog, msmith,
                jasone, dcs, des (and a bunch more people who encouraged it)

Cheers,
-Peter