Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 01:36:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Font <font@Mcs.Net>
To:        "Jesse, Roland" <rjesse@uwsp.edu>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIS client setup

Bill Paul wrote a reply to a question of mine in a similar vein, which I
missed, but luckily found on my news server again.  You can look it up on
Deja News with a subject of "NIS/YP subnets and slave servers" in
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.

Basically, if the server and the client are on different subnets, it won't
work.  This may be changed in the future.  But for right now, what you
probably need to do is to make this client also a slave server, use ypxfr
to manually copy over all the maps from the master to the slave server,
and add the slaver server to the master's ypservers file.

After all that's done, you can then make the client bind to itself, and
since it's a slave server it should get the updates from the server fine.
Of course, if the master isn't FreeBSD, then I have no idea whether this
would work or not, all bets are off.  But at this point the client can
only bind to a server on the same subnet, due to the way the client
searcher for the server.

A bug in my MUA causes news.announce.newusers                            font
to be sent to beneficiaries and senders of UCE/SPAM.                        @
                                                                      mcs.net
Wishes are like dishes.