Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:51:36 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bridging with 3C589D-COMBO on 4.2-RELEASE?

Gerhard Sittig wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 23:20 -0500, The Babbler wrote:
> >
> > Anybody else got a promiscuous 3c589d?
>
> I had quite a few tcpdump(1) sessions with a 3c589D and FreeBSD
> 3.3 and 4.[012], so I assume promiscous mode works fine.
>
> The only problem I had with this card is that it defaults to the
> wrong media type and doesn't recognize TP wiring, instead it
> always falls back to BNC.  So I have to force 10baseT selection.

I haven't noticed a problem with that . . .

> > When I try to enable bridging, it shuts down my ep0 networking
> > entirely, so I lose all my networking; if I unplug & plug the
> > card it gets address 0.0.0.0, presumably because DHCP fails;
> > and if I try to turn off bridging after the fact, the machine
> > hangs hard & I have to power off.
>
> Do you 'ifconfig down' the card *prior* to removal?  For my own
> sake I would get used to some sort of this behaviour ... :>  Just
> make sure nothing's using the card when you unplug it instead of
> dazzling all the drivers / apps with events there's no card for.

Heck, no.  I just pop the card out.  Windows gets upset if you do this,
but Linux is quite happy if I insert it and remove it willy-nilly and
never type in any commands at all.  It is all just handled
automatically.

This might be the secret that I'm missing.  It never once crossed my
mind to type in a command before removing the PCMCIA network card . . .

I never ifconfig down it *after* I remove it, either.  I just wait 'til
I'm back at the base station and plug it in again.

So this could very well be the major issue.

> > PS: In my experience, though FreeBSD has lots of advantages, it
> > is *much* less stable than Linux.  It's crashed -way- more than
> > Linux ever did; more even than Windows does at work (of course
> > I push Windows a lot less).  And I've had it lose files a
> > couple of times when it came back up after a hard crash like
> > that.
> >
> > Is this at all normal?
> > Is it at all normal for folks with laptops?
>
> No. And no.  You state the reason for your "stable Windows"
> yourself.  And in comparison to Linux it must be some
> configuration issue.  Setup correctly (and given decent hardware)
> both FreeBSD and Linux run fine.  While FreeBSD is said to cope
> better (smooth) with heavy load.

FreeBSD's memory handling is noticaably superior, even when it's running
a program under Linux emulation.
And both startup/shutdown and printing I found much easier to configure
the way I wanted.  Plus I like the way the kernel config works--I can
use my editor to just search.  Lots of pluses.  Hopefully the ifconfig
thing is the clue I need to make the stability comparable.

Thanks.

"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org
Support http://www.eff.org.                  Support decss defendents.