Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:01:51 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.6.2 installworld fail

On 2002-08-29 22:50 +0000, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> >Hmmm, you have built a new kernel, installed it,
> >and then booted into it.  Right?
>
> No.
> I run make buildworld, make buildkernel, and then this happens when
> doing make installworld.  Should I build the kernel first, install
> it, boot it and then build world? I always build world and kernel,
> installed world and kernel, and then reboot. Is that wrong?

Follow the instructions of /usr/src/UPDATING:

	To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
	4.x-STABLE
	----------
	make buildworld
	make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	reboot	(in single user) [1]
	make installworld
	mergemaster		[2]
	reboot

	[1] You can often get away without doing this step as the
	system will be properly updated.  During the running of the
	installworld, however, system components may break and other
	oddities may happen.  Don't do this on systems that aren't
	otherwise quiet as unpredictable results may happen.  If in
	doubt, reboot into single user.  For remote installs, keep
	a separate kernel around and use a serial console if at all
	possible.  See also note [6] above.
	[2] If you do not run mergemaster, you will likely hit a
	number of show stopper problems.  The biggest one is that
	your /etc/pam.conf won't let you log in using ssh.

--
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve -- http://www.FreeBSD.org