Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 10:44:19 +0200
From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple NICs on the same subnet

Hi Nick,

Nick Rogness wrote on Thu, May 09, 2002 at 05:28:13PM -0500:
[..]
> 	The problem you are having is not an alias problem but a routing
> 	one.  Packets come in to your alias on the proper interface but
> 	when the reply packet gets sent it uses the default route which
> 	goes out your default route.
                          ^^^^^ interface I assume.

Yes, true, that is probably the case. Looking at my routing
tables, this makes sense.

> 	In other words, packets that arrive inbound on an interface will
> 	not necessarily leave that same interface on the outbound reply,
> 	if it doesn't have a route to that network via that
> 	interface.  Instead, it leaves through the default gateway
> 	interface (because of the default route).
I see.

> 	The best way to handle this is with ipfw fwd.  Basically you
> 	forward packets trying to leave the default gateway with the
> 	aliased address of a different interface out the right interface.
>
> 	For example:
>
> 	xl0 --> alias= 1.1.1.1/32 , (default gateway out this interface)
> 	xl1 --> alias= 1.1.1.2/32
> 	lge0 --> alias= 1.1.1.3/32
>
> 	ipfw ruleset:
>
> 	# FOrward packets properly
>       ipfw fwd $IP_OF_NEXT_HOP_xl1 ip from 1.1.1.2/32 to any out via xl0
>       ipfw fwd $IP_OF_NEXT_HOP_lge0 ip from 1.1.1.3/32 to any out via xl0
> 	. . . [rest of firewall] . . .

Hmmm hm hm hm :-) May work. I can try it... I hope the additional forwarding
code does not slow things down too much, but I guess not.

> 	You will need your kernel build with 'options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD'.
Ok thanks. Is that option set on building the ipfw.ko ?
Anyway I try it. Maybe ipfilter works alike.

> > This would not be that much of a problem so far. The problem really
> > showed up, when it seemed like the Gigabit interface did not seem to
> > work as expected. A couple of possible problems may be the cause,
> > symptoms beeing "lge0: watchdog timeout" messages (which may be due to
> > hardware/cabling problems), "sendto: no buffer space availble"
> > messages (no idea where this comes from, any hints appreaciated,
> > kern.ipc.nmbclusters and kern.maxusers etc, are bumped enough and did
> > not max out (according to netstat -m)).
>
> 	This is another problem altogether.
Yes. Any hints or suggestsion? I've got kern.maxuser=768 and
kern.ipc.nmbcluster=32768 now. Maybe that solves it...

[..]

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock   - signs of absurd developments in the net community:
#42:   - "Wurstbrot gehoert m.E. zum Fruehstuecks-botnet von Cartoon" -
*Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 25735 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/*