Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:04:12 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014671053.596fa9@mired.org>
To:        Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie xterm color ?

Dale Morris <dlm@well.com> types:
> I'm having trouble finding how to make xterm display in color. I have
> [setenv TERM=xterm-color] in my .tcshrc but that doesn't do the trick.
> It's strange though, RXVT will display mutt in color, but XTERM won't,
> from the command line both vim and mutt both display in color, but not
> in xterm.

You've got the setenv syntax wrong. RXVT works because it (presumably)
sets the xterm type to xterm-color itself, whereas xterm proper
doesn't. You can tell xterm to do that by adding

	#ifdef	COLOR
	XTerm*termName: xterm-color
	#endif

to your .Xresources file (or whatever file is being fed to xrdb to set
resources). If you're not using anything, then

	echo 'XTerm*termName: xterm-color' | xrdb

in .xinitrc - before you start any xterms - will do the job, except
that will also set it in the unlikely event that you are on an X
server that doesn't support color.

I think this method is a bit cleaner than setting things in the shell
startup files.

	<mike