Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:43:53 +0800
From:      "jan gestre" <freebsd.ph@gmail.com>
To:        "Tom King" <tom@tomking.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is difference between FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.1?

On 7/28/06, Tom King <tom@tomking.com> wrote:

> What is difference between FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.1?

the kernel, 6.1 supports more new devices

Why two new versions at same time?

5.5 is what we call legacy releases, i think the development is still going
although they stop releasing new versions based on 5 branch

Is FreeBSD Unix, Linux or something elese?

FreeBSD is not Linux and vice versa, both however are unix like operating
systems with BSD based on the Berkeley Software distribution.

Do Solaris programs or Linux graphical programs run on FreeBSD?

some linux binaries runs on FreeBSD, some say it runs better on BSD than
Linux :D

Does it make more sense to port from Windows directly to Mac OS X or to
> FreeBSD first?

what do you mean port? migrate? if that is the case then FreeBSD is the path
to take.

What is the development framework and IDE of choice for FreeBSD
> develoopment (Eclipse, NetBeans, Trolltech, etc.)?
>
> What does FreeBSD offer over Solaris and/or Red Hat Linux?

its free

Thanks!