Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:34:47 +0800 (CST)
From:      =?gb2312?q?leo?= <trampeagle@yahoo.com.cn>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        leo <trampeagle@yahoo.com.cn>
Subject:   Re: why the command of "who" dosen't work while i login through xdm

Now I don't think it is simply a problem that the konsole dosen't write the utmp file. the whole kde environment starts without writing a login record, that mean the root can't use the "who" to check who has logined the system,and the user can login the system freely without login record, then perform any operation he/she like to do.All he has to be care in is no terminal. Has kde  provided some other tools like "who" to monitor the user's login(no matter which method)? if the answer is no, I don't think these are rational things.
by the way. I use KDE 3.2.

leo.

David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 08:08:17AM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > xterm(1) can be told whether to write into utmp. I have no idea about
> > konsole, but I'm pretty sure that xconsole(1) cannot.

> It doesn't here. (KDE 3.2.2, 5.2-CURRENT)
> (Never has done AFAIR)

I think the konsole people used to think that utmp was evil, but I
believe they eventually decided to add a utmp feature. According
to:

http://konsole.kde.org/changelog.html

KDE 3.0 it would work if we had a utempter libaray.

David.