Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:17:21 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another shudown -p question

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0007311557050.587-100000@veager.siteplus.net>, Jim We
eks wrote:
} There was a thread on this subject a couple of weeks ago but did not
} address this issue.
}
} On my Compaq 1200XL, shutdown -p seems to work, except immediately after
} shutdown the HD spins back up.  The only way to get it turned off at this
} point is to pull the battery.
}
} Does anyone have a suggestion on where to start looking for a solution?

Works fine for me on my 1200xl; I have the following in my kernel config:
device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management

and
[542] hamilton@laptop hamilton$ grep -i apm /etc/rc.conf
apm_enable="YES"

(note, I do not run apmd).  If that combination fails for you, feel free to
contact me off-list and we can compare BIOS settings etc.  I use shutdown -p
all the time, and it has always worked for me on this machine, ranging from
4.0-STABLE to various iterations of -current, so I think it ought to be
workable for you too.  Right now, I'm running -stable from July 29 and it's
fine there.

If you have a working sound config for this machine, I'd love to trade for
that, too :)

BTW, even with this symptom, you shouldn't have to pull the battery.  Hold
down the power button for 3-4 seconds and the machine should power down, though
I realize that's not ideal by a long shot.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com