Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:13:30 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Troy Settle <troy@picus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filesystem full?

Troy Settle wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've seen this come up before, but don't remember seeing an answer.

	It gets discussed often. Did you check the mail archives?

> After some 200 days of uptime, one of my boxes decided to play stupid and
> pretend like the /var filesystem was full.

	It wasn't pretending.

> As you can imagine, this screwed
> up all sorts of things.  Not until I did a reboot, did the machine start
> behaving properly.

	What happens is that a process dies without releasing files that it has
open. Even though you can't see the process, and/or the files (via du)
they still take up space. You want to use a tool like lsof to try and
find what process has what file open, then find a way to kill it.
Rebooting solves the problem a different way.

> This problem, whatever it is, is a serious threat to FreeBSD's claim of
> stability.

	The problem isn't with FreeBSD. :)  It is almost always due to an
improperly written program, and/or a too-small /var partition, or some
combination thereof. Any operating system would behave the same way in
the same situation. We had exactly this problem with some of our Sun
boxes.

Good luck,

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.