Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:24:55 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        Blair Wagner <blair.wagner@cci-triad.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-OS install of FreeBSD: HELP!

Jerry McAllister wrote:

>>Blair Wagner wrote:
>>

>>>Hello guru's,
>>>
>>>Please help me install FreeBSD on my PC, co-resident with Win2k.
>>>
>>>I'm preparing to install FreeBSD v4.6 on my AMD 1.4Ghz Athlon at home.
>>>However, this machine currently has Windows 2000 Pro installed - using
>>>all of the 40GB EIDE hard disk space.
>>>
>>>... [Lots cut out]
>>>
>>>In the perfect world, I'd like to shrink the Win2K partition to 20GB,
>>>and allocate the remaining 20GB to FreeBSD on my one and only EIDE hard
>>>disk drive. However, the documentation suggests I'm going to have
>>>trouble. I do NOT wish to change the BIOS setting for ">1024cyl" or
>>>"LBA" each time I boot. I don't know how to boot Win2K into DOS mode to
>>>use the FBSDBOOT.EXE.
>>>

>>You are reading old docs. I only have one machine that has a drive
>>smaller than 8.4GB, which is cylinder 1024 with LBA turned on. The
>>rest are on 20-80GB drives and half of them are installed starting
>>around 15-20GB in on the drive.
>>

> YES.  I wish someone who really knows about the insides of current
> machines, BIOS, boot blocks, devices and even Microsloth stuff  would
> completely rewrite the documentation to this part of things.  Even in
> new editions of FreeBSD books I have been searching the information
> still talks only about old methods and limits that just by accident I
> have discovered to be no longer valid or meaningful (but I don't know
> what the real limits and requirements are now).

Nik from FreeBSD-docs asked the same thing but none of the writers
volunteered. Historically, the problem disappeared around FreeBSD-4.1
and we have progressed a long ways since then. You may have a lot of
people that understand 2 of 3 points and aren't comfortable writing
something covering everything. For example, I chose to install FreeBSD
on the boot HD because I didn't have to deal with /boot/boot0, which I
found confusing. If you include a copy of /boot/boot1 on your c-drive,
there isn't any problem adding it to the boot.ini used by ntldr.  I
typically never have an OS on the primary boot partition of a
multi-boot system. On these multi-boot systems, that partition in
windows terms is FAT-32 because you can write to it from FreeBSD and
is used to pass data from FreeBSD to the other OSes.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA