Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 04:09:50 -0000
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        pf4freebsd@freelists.org
Cc:        Jonas Davidsson <aphex@bredband.net>
Subject:   [pf4freebsd] Re: [ALTQ] DIOCGIFSPEED: Bad file descriptor

--Boundary-02=_8jDBBoy3wGQ0PLM

On Sunday 25 July 2004 23:31, Jonas Davidsson wrote:
> What does this mean?
> I've patched the sources,
> am running the patched kernel,
> the pf_freebsd-altq-2.03 package is compiled and installed,
> all pf-modules including pfaltq are loaded,
> everything else about pf works great, except when i try ty do altq on
> $interface. That's when it says: "pfctl: DIOCGIFSPEED: Bad file descripto=
r"
> I've tried this with two NICs, rl0 and xl0. Both should be supported.
> The system is running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9

Hmmm ... EBADF is returned by ioctl() to indicate that the passed fd is not=
=20
valid (DIOCGIFSPEED returns EINVAL to indicate error) so that means that=20
somehow the reference to "/dev/pf" got scrabbled or was never setup correct=
ly=20
(which would be strange when everything else works).

If you are familiar with gdb, you could try to set a breakpoint in=20
"eval_pfaltq()" and check if pf->dev is a properly initialized fd or not.

Other than that, I can only invite you (and everybody else) to check out=20
=2Dcurrent. Not only does it provide newer, better pf- and altq-support, yo=
u=20
will also help to shake out the last bunch of bugs in order to make 5.3 a=20
success. Thanks!

=2D-=20
/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier@freebsd.org
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier@EFnet
/ \  ASCII Ribbon Campaign		| Against HTML Mail and News