Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:16:06 -0500
From:      Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>
To:        Chuck Rock <carock@epcusa.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

> Subject: Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.
> Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 09:19:32 -0600 (CST)
> From: Chuck Rock <carock@epcusa.com>
> To: Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>
> CC: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> There's not much you can do but what you already are doing. Complain.
>
> You complain to the people using the software, and if they can't
> configure it, they will probably stop using it if they care.

I know only one user, that is how I discovered the problem.  I have no
way of identifying other users.  That frightens me.

> You complain to the people that actually wrote the software. Usually found
> in the source code and such.

Unfortunately, the author hasn't replied to my complaints yet.  Possibly
she has taken a holiday.

> You can try to complain to FreeBSD Ports, but removing this goes against
> the very nature of "Open Source" Good or bad, there's not much to convince
> people not to distribute a piece of software that's free and
> open.

There is a significant difference between this port and the others.  My
other ports at worst only harm the intended user when things go wrong.
This port harms random and anonymous individuals.  I don't believe that
FreeBSD redistributes spamming software or list managers that don't
provide the proper opt-in safeguards by default.

I can't really stop the Spambouncer people from shouting "fire" from
their own website -- freedom of speech and all that.  But should FreeBSD
  act as an amplifier.

> Everyone knows when they install these softwares that you do so at
> your own risk. If your ISP is spending money to support problems caused by
> it's use and they have control over it, they will probably stop using
> it. Most ISP's care about expenses, so you can bet if it's not worth
> using, they will eventually stop.
>
> If you have any capacity, you can attempt to fix the program, and submit
> it to the author for distribution. This is how Open Source works.

I will be happy to fix it, the author may not like my philosophy. I
believe in Free Speech and a working internet mail system. I would
attempt to minimize "false positives", and require testing. But as I
said earlier, the author doesn't respond.  Even if the software is
adjusted, it will be impossible to recall all the older versions.

> If people would stop sending spam or harden their computers connected to
> the Internet to keep from sending spam accidentally, there would be no
> need for this software either. Might as well wish for world peace though.

amen.  Unfortuately, good people are making a bad situation even worse
by "hip-shooting".

> Chuck
<snip>