Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:58:20 -0500
From:      "Jeff Ehrenkrantz" <admin@gccomm.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why is FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE box more slow than slackware3.5 box?

----- Original Message -----
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To: Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy@visi.com>
Cc: Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr>; <genght@cn.ibm.com>;
<freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 5:34 PM
Subject: Re: Why is FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE box more slow than slackware3.5
box?

<yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr> wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 genght@cn.ibm.com wrote:
>>> I have two boxes that have the same hardware.One is FreeBSD2.2.8-RELEASE
>>> and the other is Slackware3.5.
>>> They are using the same Intel 10/100 NIC and attaching to the same
10/100
>>> Bay 450T switch.But when I ftp/telnet to my FreeBSD box(either from
win95
>>> client or from linux client),it responded after a very very long time (I
>>>
>>> I think your  IP address do not resolve to a hostname
>>> your FreeBSD box is looking for your dns name
>>> that is why  it takes so  long

.>> Switch the order lookup order in /etc/host.conf to:

>> hosts
>> bind

>This will work if you're using /etc/hosts, and the machine is only
>defined in /etc/hosts.  You'd be a whole lot better off not doing so,
>though.  If you're on the net, you should be using DNS.

>Greg

Greg: A lone thought.
I use a FBSD box for as an Isdn router for an internal network.
I've noticed if I have an entry in the hosts file and do use hosts first in
resolv.config that the box doesn't waste any ISDN time tring to resolve
itself when sendmail mails the  activitey reports to root on the same box.
Or is there another way to do the same thing. The box uses ppp -alias -auto
Or I have just missed the obvious?