Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 11:48:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Chris Phillips <chris@selkie.org>
Cc:        Mitch Vincent <mitch@venux.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD SMP

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Chris Phillips wrote:

> I'm not not a guru either.  However, PIII processors will only do 2 way
> processing.  Meaning, you can only use 2.  To get 4 way on x86, you must
> use Xeon.  I also know that FreeBSD does not do SMP very well as opposed
> to it's counterparts.  We use FreeBSD for our webservers and openbsd for
> our firewalls and unfortuneatly Suns for our databases because of their
> support for Oracle as well as the ability to have 8+ processors.  Like I
> said before, would this money not be better spent on ram and raid?  =3D)

Hmm, I use FreeBSD 3.x-R on three dual cpu servers (PII/PIII) and my
impression is FreeBSD does SMP well. Well, I don't speak of multithreaded
applications like data bases (I've no experience here) but on process
level SMP FreeBSD seems to do a perfect job.

I also did some measurements (http://gwdu60.gwdg.de/pmatmat/pmatmat.html)
some time ago which showed good results.

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg