Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 00:14:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>, "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, jas@flyingfox.com (Jim Shankland), freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940

Justin T. Gibbs writes:
 > > > I don't know if the NCR has tagged-command-queuing support or not.  If
 > > > it did, I don't think I would trust it (the NCR driver is OK for
 > > > workstation type stuff, as Justin pointed out, but it is known to be
 > > > buggier than either the BusLogic or Adaptec drivers).
 >
 > That wasn't me who said that.  I know there have been bugs in the past with
 > the NCR driver, but there have also been bugs in the aic7xxx driver too.  I
 > have no idea of the current stability of the ncr driver since I don't own
 > one of those cards.
 >
 > My only problem with the ncr driver right now is that I don't have all
 > the necessary changes from Stefan yet to make it work with my changes to
 > the SCSI system. Prod. Prod. 8-)

Yes, sure. But my job doesn't leave me any time to work
out a good solution except if I take a vacation for it.

I might be able to write a wrapper that just copies the
data structure provided by the new generic code into local
variables, as is done with the current code. Or I might
be able to complete a version that is limited to a small
number of simultanous commands (ahemm, ONE single command :)
which will be made fully functional a few weeks later
(famous last words, I know ...)

Well, anyway: I know that you can't accept being kept back
for too long, and I appreciate the changes you have prepared
and hope they'll be intergrated soon. And I know there are
dependencies ...

I intend to spend a full work on NCR driver issues this
weekend, but I can't promise that I'll have a preliminary
solution to offer before one or two other week(end)s have
passed.

Regards, STefan