Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:25:50 +0100
From:      Timo Geusch <freebsd@timog.prestel.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Broadcast Datagram socket problem (bug?)

Well,
I just found a reproducible problem with Sockets in general (although it is
only showing up on DatagramSockets at the moment - I did not check with
normal Sockets).
The problem is that sending a datagram to the network or to the broadcast
address will throw a Java.io.IOException. Sending the datagram to a specific
box works fine, but as soon as it is sent to the broadcast address it fails.
A quickly hacked C program that did the same operation convinced me that the
SO_BROADCAST option was not enabled. Checking the same piece of Java code
on the other available platforms revealed an interesting hiccup:
- Slowlaris/SPARC: Broadcasts fine. Original SUN JDK, of course.
- Windoze 95 & NT: Same. Original SUN JDK, too.
- Linux, 1.1.5-v6: Broadcasts, too. Grrrr.
- DIGITAL UNIX JDK: Exception, no broadcast.
- FreeBSD 2.2.6 & JDK 2-25: Exception, no broadcast.
Now for the interesting part: to my best knowledge, DIGITAL UNIX is also BSD-
derived, which makes me think that they also forgot to enable SO_BROADCAST.

Is there any chance that somebody could (a) either fix that problem as I don't
have access to the JDK source at the moment or (b) give me some pointers where
I have to look in the source so I can go and fix it myself? After getting the
JDK source license, of course.

TIA,

Timo