Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:42:30 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to troubleshoot freezing?

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> I have a machine that as of 2 weeks ago has started freezing.
> I am not sure whether it is hardware or software. When it freezes nothing
> responds, not even the numlock key. After powering off startup ALWAYS
> freezes doing fsck. I have to take the drive to another
> machine to fsck.

Consider a backup, reformat, restore on the drive. It sounds like you
may have subtle corruption on one of the partitions ... but then agian,
why would it work on one machine and not another?

> I have run a hardware check program (memory, HD, cpu, etc..) and no errors
> found.

For how long? If the problem is intermittent, running the HW check while
the problem is not occurring may not reveal anything. Can you afford to
take the machine offline and run the HW check for an extended period?
(perhaps several days?)

> The reason I suspect it may be hardware is that sometimes the re-start
> doesn't work and I have to reset 2 or 3 times. During the failed attempts
> the HDs power up and the CD rom is initialized, but the machine doesn't
> come up (i.e. the monitor remains in sleep mode).

Sounds like a bad mobo. Could also be a power supply. If you have
spares, try swapping.

> Is there any debug mode on FreeBSD so I can let if log all activity and
> see what the machine was doing when it froze? I am trying to see if there
> is a pattern. If I could at least narrow it down to a component then I
> could change it.

I don't have any advice for you here. If the system freezes without a
panic, then it's something going wrong below the level that FreeBSD is
able to catch.

> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Well, they aren't "good" suggestions, but they certainly fall under the
category of "any". I hope they're helpful.

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?