Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 08:05:20 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Jeff Gray <jwg2@adsl-63-201-55-220.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ex0: not multicast capable, IPv6 not enabled

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 10:36:48PM -0700, Jeff Gray wrote:
> Just installed 4.0 Release on another box.
>
> Machine did not connect to the net.  Looking at dmesg I see,
>
> ex0: not multicast capable, IPv6 not enabled
>
> Is this the cause?  Is there a fix?

It should still work fine with "regular" IP.

I have found that 4.0 and ex0 have some odd interactions however. On
my 4.0 machine with an ex0 card, sometimes the card seems to "fall
asleep" during boot up. The machine will not receive or send packets
out of the interface. I can wake it back up by doing a tcpdump(8) on
the interface. My guess is something about switching in and out of
promiscuous mode does some resets.

I have mentioned this on the list before, but have not written a
PR. Perhaps that is in order if someone else can verify this
behavior. I have not checked if such a PR exists.