Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:02:59 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Dan Allen <danallen46@airwired.net>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>, List FreeBSD-STABLE Mailing <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: ACPI broke going from 8 to 9

On 31 December 2011 11:41, Dan Allen <danallen46@airwired.net> wrote:

> My Toshiba Satellite U205 used to work great with RELENG_7, but the boot =
code of RELENG_8 will not recognize the 2nd core of my Core Duo (not Core 2=
 Duo) processor. =A0Nobody seems to care as few machines have Core Duo, or =
few people use this era of Toshiba BIOS, or whatever.

.. and if this is a problem, a boot -v from both releng_7 and releng_8
would be a good starting point. Surely detecting the CPU cores would
be an easy thing to get right. Also, it may be a hyperthread CPU
"thing" - I recall some changes in the releng_8 timeframe because of
security vulnerabilities with classic hyperthreading and you have to
do something to enable it again.

Adrian