Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2008 09:49:00 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 6.2; 6.3; EOL; combustible discussions

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 10:17:20AM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Ok everyone, I think thats enough about this for now.
>
> I think the developers and users have made their points clear, and
> they're no going to agree any more (but they may agree less) over
> time.

  Well, *please* don't assume all users agree with Jo.

  Some of us actually read the EOL date on 6.2, assumed it meant what
it said, and made an informed decision to use 6.2 as the best candidate
available at that date, even knowing we'd be forced to upgrade sooner
rather than later.

  If as an admin/user I could give a message to the developers, it
would be a very different one:

  I would like to one day see a -STABLE line, perhaps 8.x, perhaps
later, which would by *design* be strong enough and incorporate enough
flexibility in its core design that it could be continued for as many
as 5 years of minor releases (rather than by *default* as 4.x was due
to the difficulty of the SMP model transition and the 5.x stability
problems.)

  If I knew that were an eventual development goal, I'd be even happier
with the FreeBSD development team.

  I have no damn idea how to achieve that goal, and as a software
developer I know it's ridiculously, insanely difficult to design to a
goal like that, but I do think that continuation is one of the main
factors behind the nostalgia for the 4.x line.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@iandicomputing.com / cliftonr@lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/