Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:26:48 -0800
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <rileyjmc@pacbell.net>
To:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FW: apache modules

Greetings:

I'm having trouble modifying the Makefile for the apache13-modssl port.
Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Riley

PS  I've posted this twice to -questions with no response, and twice before
in a different format--the only response I had was to use the linux apache
binaries because the module was for linux, not fbsd.  That the source code
for the module couldn't be applied under fbsd didn't seem right, but no
one's responded pro or con.

	*************

To: FreeBSD Questions
Subject: apache modules

Hi all,

I asked this a while back but maybe wasn't clear.  Not unusual.   Anyway I'm
trying to compile a 3rd party module for apache 1.3.23 using the Makefile in
the ports collection of freebsd 4.5-STABLE.  The module is mod_coldfusion.so
for Cold Fusion 5 for Red Hat Linux, which is installed and running under
Red Hat 7.1 emulation.  The module source is supplied.  I want to avoid
installing the apache linux binary--if I have to do that to get it to work
I'll just run red hat.

Ok, /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/work/apache_1.3.23/README.configure says
to add a 3rd party module with DSO support to:

    $ ./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache \
                  --add-module=/path/to/mod_foo.c \
                  --enable-shared=foo

Now what I've tried is in the apache-modssl Makefile, in the CONFIGURE_ARGS=
section:

 --add-module=/usr/local/coldfusion/webserver/apache/src/mod_coldfusion.c \
 --enable-shared=mod_coldfusion

And get this with a "make install":

===>  Configuring for apache+mod_ssl-1.3.23+2.8.6
Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.23
 + using installation path layout: FreeBSD
(/usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/files/FreeBSD.layout)
 + on-the-fly added and activated coldfusion module
(modules/extra/mod_coldfusion.o)
configure:Error: No such module named 'mod_coldfusion'
===>  Script "configure" failed: here are the contents of "config.log"
cat: config.log: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

If I "make clean", remove the "--enable-shared=mod_coldfusion" and remake:

 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
** failed.  The below error output from the compilation
** test will give you an idea what is failing. Note that
** Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such as gcc.

cd ..;
c -DHARD_SERVER_LIMIT=512  -DDOCUMENT_LOCATION=\"/usr/local/www/data/\"  -DD
EFAULT_PATH=\"/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin\"  -DACCEPT_FILTER_NAME=\"httprea
dy\" -funsigned-char -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/e
xpat-lite -O -pipe  `./apaci` -I/usr/local/include  -L/usr/local/lib  -o
helpers/dummy helpers/dummy.c   -lcrypt -lC -lcf -lmm
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lC
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/work/apache_1.3.23/src/helpers.
======== Error Output for sanity check ========
============= End of Error Report =============

 Aborting!
===>  Building for apache+mod_ssl-1.3.23+2.8.6
===> src
make: don't know how to make all. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/work/apache_1.3.23.
*** Error code 1

Is it possible to do?  Am I hopefully doing something dumb and easily
changed or is it hopeless?

I'll be happy to send other info if anyone cares to help.

Thanks a million!

Riley

There are two kinds of security problems. The first kind arises where people
are too stupid for words.  Outlook is a petri dish. I don't know why anyone
uses it.  The rest are primarily bugs. . .
--James Gosling, chief architect, java