Date:      Thu, 01 May 2008 19:17:17 -0400
From:      "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k@gmail.com>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Packet-corruption with re(4)

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 22:58 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 05:08:34 -0700
> Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > I'd recommend staying away from Realtek NICs.  Pick up an Intel
> > Pro/1000 GT or PT.  Realtek has a well-known history of issues.
>
> I hear that story very often, so often that I almost think it's a fairy
> tale. :-)
> Most of the times the "RealTek NIC" story is told, it isn't backed up
> with any references to evidence. Draw your own conclusions.
Well, my latest encounter with "Netgear GA311 Rev. A1 (RTL8169S-32)
Gigabit Ethernet" falls neatly into the "fairy tale" category -- it has
jittery bit in the chip ID register and will advertise itself as 8129 or
8169 depending on the phase of the moon. While it is not fair to judge
the whole product line based on the single specimen, it took me some
time to figure it out, and, on top of that, I have wasted time of some
people, valuable to the FreeBSD project, who were kind enough to review
submitted PR and close it. I am not planning on buying more of these to
get representative statistics, though ;)

The card in question was purchased as the replacement for the 'fxp',
which was sitting in that system for a long while, so I think I am in my
right to blame the card and not the system.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)