Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 00:44:47 -0400
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jacob@sheehy.ca
Subject:   Re: Small install

At 08:58 PM 5/9/02 -0700, Jacob Sheehy wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I just recieved an old laptop with Windows 3.1 installed. It's a
>386, with only a floppy drive and about 200MB on the hard drive.
>I'd like to kill Windows and install FreeBSD (just the basics; no
>applications, no X window system, etc). And it needs to be installed
>though floppies.
>
>Where can I download a version of FreeBSD that's just the basics?
>Can FreeBSD be installed by a couple of floppy disks?

Hello, Jacob!

You can install from floppy, though I have never tried this myself. It's
not exactly a common install method, these days. Also, the statement, "If
you must install from floppy disk (which we suggest you do not do)" from
the documentation is a bit of a deterrent. :)

You can find information about how to do this in section 2.13.2 of the
Handbook on this page:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-diff-media.html

Also, you don't mention how much memory is in that machine - in order to
successfully run through an install with 4.5-Release, you must have 16MB.
Less may work, but it's not guaranteed. After installation, the system
should run well with less than 16MB, though it helps to have a custom
kernel that's been pared down. I've had machines that ran perfectly well
with only 8MB, and I believe it's possible to run in still less if you
really know what you're doing.

Others may be able to comment further. Good luck with it!

         Matt

P.S. Depending on circumstances, you may find it more convenient to do some
kind of network install, or even install from a CD if you can attach a
drive, somehow. If there's any way to get the machine talking to the
outside world, even if through a parallel port, you might be a happier man
in the end. More details on how to do other kinds of installs are available
at the URL above.

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM