Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:37:24 +0100
From:      "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@axis.nl>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with creating home directories when creating users using pw under 5.2.1 Release i386

Hi guys,

I'm new to this list, so I hope I'm not flogging a dead horse here, but
after an upgrade from 5.1 Release to 5.2.1 Release (i386) I encountered
a weird thing: when being root, and creating users using the pw command
as follows:

pw useradd testusr -g testgrp -s /bin/sh

No home directory gets created (whereas a home directory was properly
created when doing this under 5.1 Release). Then, when I try to fix this
afterwards by doing:

pw usermod testusr -d /usr/home/testusr

I get the message:

pw: WARNING: home `/usr/home/testusr' does not exist

This, in itself, is already weird, of course. Manually creating the
directory /usr/home/testusr and then trying the pw command doesn't work
either (neither when the directory is owned by root, nor when it's owned
by testusr:testgrp) ?!?

More bizarrely so, when adding a user using sysinstall, it all works
fine. Go figure...?!?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers!
Olafo