Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 11:31:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Clarence Brown <clabrown@granitepost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to use PORTS from internet

> I did read the entire ports section of the HANDBOOK, but can't seem to find
> the answer to my question. It seems to say that installing ports from the
> internet is exactly the same as installing them from the CD. This does not
> seem to be true, because if I do what the HANDBOOK says, and follow exactly
> the same steps, it installs the port from my CD. Perhaps this is obvious to
> you Old-Timers, but more information in the handbook might be helpful. Heck,
> I'd even write it if I knew how to do it.
>
> 2 specific examples:
>
> 1. I'm thinking about playing with New KDE2. I don't even have a
> /usr/ports/x11/kde2 directory to change to, to run the make install from.
> How should I get the "skeleton?" on my system?

You can download the entire ports collection from:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports.tar.gz It's
roughly ten megabytes.  You could install the ports collection from your
CD-ROM, then update it with cvsup (or anoncvs, if it's still available),
but I doubt you'd save much time.

> I tried ftping the kde2
> directory to my system, and checked/set permissions like kde1 directory. I
> ran make install, it only took about 15 seconds to complete, complained
> about missing stuff and was done.

Yes, you'll need more than that.  The ports won't work properly without
the stuff in /usr/ports/Mk/.

> I tried running make install again to copy the error messages for this
> message, but now make install tells me it is already installed...

I doubt it will work properly without the Mk/ stuff, but you could
normally do "make deinstall".  You should be able to find the package
under /var/db/pkg and remove it with pkg_delete.

> 2. Installing latest version of port "foo" assuming earlier version of port
> foo exists on my system/CDROM. If I follow the handbook instructions for
> installing from internet, (which say to do exactly same steps as install
> from CD) then the system simply installs old version of "foo" from CD.

I'm guessing that you're talking about sections 4.2.1.1 and 4.2.1.2.  The
difference between them is that the first tells you to mount your CD-ROM
under /cdrom/.  If you use the ports collection from your CD-ROM, whatever
ports you install will be the ones that were current at the time the
CD-ROM was pressed.  To get the latest version of the ported program, you
need to update the skeleton of the port.

> Although the handbook doesn't explicitly say this, I'm starting to think
> that installing ports from the internet probably also involves reading and
> _understanding_ most of the Handbook chapter 18.3 Synchronizing your
> source... boy that's a thick chapter. I've used RCS on programming projects,
> but never CTM or CVS. After skimming 18.3, are there any step by step, how
> to, FAQ's for dummies that cover this? Am I on the right track about needing
> to use CVS to update my local ports directory. If I were to update my local
> ports directory, should I do the whole thing or just a few, I'm kind of
> worried the some of the newer ports might not work right on an older 3.4
> system.

The simplest thing would just be to FTP the whole ports collection at the
URL I gave and untar it into /usr/ports/.  There's been a global change
such that mixing old ports with a new ports base (the Mk/ stuff) or vice
versa won't work.  Yes, there are some ports that don't work on 3.x (I
maintain one) one) but they've been marked as broken, or will be once
somebody reports the problem, so you won't waste your time.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt