Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:00:55 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsnap base thought

On Sun, 2005-Aug-28 01:20:38 -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
>Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> - Find ~7MB additional space on -RELEASE disk 1 (probably the hardest)
>
>Now that disk 1 doesn't contain any packages, I think this part is easy.

I missed the package removal.  That would seem to simplify things a bit.

>My biggest concern with doing this in a minor release is the question of
>removing ports.tgz.  That tarball has been on the release CDs for an awfully
>long time, and I'm sure there are people who will be quite astonished if it
>suddenly disappears.

Since there's space, include both in 6.x, with ports.tgz marked as
deprecated.  If you consider 6.0 to be an "early adopter's" release,
you can probably get away with claiming that ports.tgz has been
deprecated for the 6.x tree and can therefore be dropped in 7.x
(in line with Project guidelines for feature deprecation).

--
Peter Jeremy