Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:19:24 +0900
From:      Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
To:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee
Cc:        Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: ports/11013: port audio/8hz-mp3: source not distributed

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:57:29 +0300 (EEST),
  Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee> said:

narvi> Exactly why should we not port it? More exactly, why should we remove the
narvi> port?

narvi> The mp3 patent is not in effect everywhere.

narvi> And it doesn't really matter if 8hz can distribute the sources or not.
narvi> They exists and people have them.

narvi> The sources aren't illegal.

tanimura> Could you please have a look at:
tanimura>
tanimura> http://www.iis.fhg.de/amm/legal/index.html#2.2
tanimura>
tanimura> If we distribute the 8hz encoder by ourselves, we have to pay for the royalty
tanimura> because they developed the encoder by themselves.
tanimura>
tanimura> Lame(Lamer) has no problems. It is a patch, not an encoder... (at least they say so)

narvi> I have seen it. If we don't distribute the package (and the port is marked
narvi> FORBIDDEN, so we don't), we don't distribute it in neither source nor
narvi> source form.

narvi> The *PORT* itself does not contain any patented code and is thus OK.

Although the port is not illegal, we will not be able to build it to the end of time.
It does not make any sense to leave the port.
(or could FhG change their license?)

Seigo TANIMURA           |M2, Nakagawa Lab, Dept of Electronics & CS
=========================|Faculty of Engineering, Yokohama National Univ