Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 2008 02:14:26 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <phi@evilphi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   puc(4) not attaching to NM9845-based serial card in 6.3-p5

I have the following PCI, 4-port serial card:

none2@pci6:2:0: class=0x070002 card=0x00041000 chip=0x98459710 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'MosChip Semiconductors (Was: Netmos Technology)'
     device     = 'Nm9845 Parallel/Serial Port Adapter'
     class      = simple comms
     subclass   = UART

This is supposedly supported by puc(4); however, I'm unable to get the
driver to attach to the card.  I tried both uart+puc and sio+puc.  In
all both case, the uart/sio drivers attach to only the serial port on
the motherboard.  There are a number of hits on the mailing list
archives that discuss puc(4) not attaching to this device, but none
provide any conclusive answers.

--
Darren Pilgrim