Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:25:33 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect 8.0 For Linux works :-)

On Sat, Dec 19, 1998 at 04:31:26PM -0600, Jon Hamilton wrote:

> In message <199812192214.OAA00627@dingo.cdrom.com>, Mike Smith wrote:
> } > > I had mostly finished writing a web page detailing the installation
> } > > process in exquisite detail when I discovered that WP8 generates bad
> } > > HTML.  I'm about resigned to simply cleaning it up manually and posting
> } > > it, maybe early next week.
> } >
> } > A port which just automates this would be a lot more useful in any
> } > case.
> }
> } Automating the WP install in a tidy fashion is close to impossible; I
> } tried this with WP7.  If you feed the installer keystrokes in order to
> } tell it where to put things, the user can't select a printer.  If you
> } don't, there's no way to force the install location, so you can't build
> } a PLIST.
>
> Can't you ask the user to tell your script which printer they want, then
> have your script pass that along to the installer?  Or does the installer
> present some kind of menu to pick from or something hideous like that?

i am a wordperfect user from back when xt's were considered big buisness
machines and wp v4.1 was in testing .. grin.

anyway, yes the printer install is a menu that you scroll and insert diskette
number ?? if teh printer you want is not on teh diskette the printer install
routine is currently reading.

one way out of this dilema is to do a fefault printer install, teh std wp
typewriter that will dump to a very basic printer or to a wp file. then after
all this is over and done with, the user could then go back and invoke teh wp
setup program to add an additional printer(s) of choice.

i havent seen the wp8 for linux yet, and just flying on how wp used to do thes
things .. i had a similar problem when converting from ms dos to ibm os/2
operating a few to many years ago.

well just a thought

regards

all the best for christmass and new year.

jonathan