Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 17:41:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: saving pcm mixer settings

Otter <otterr@telocity.com> types:
> Alfred,
> I had thought if this, but wasn't there a rewrite some time back that
> requires all the .sh scripts in the rc.d directory to work with a
> start/stop command? Or was it just a compatibility issue and not a
> requirement to use the start/stop flags?

It may not be a requirement, but it's not like it's hard. Actually, it
gives you a chance to save the mixer settings on the way down as
well. Here's what I put in /usr/local/etc/rc.d:

#!/bin/sh

MIXERSTATE=/var/db/mixer-state

case $1 in
start)
    [ -r $MIXERSTATE ] && /usr/sbin/mixer `cat $MIXERSTATE` > /dev/null
    ;;
stop)
    /usr/sbin/mixer -s > $MIXERSTATE
    ;;
*)
    echo "usage: `basename $0` {start|stop}" >&2
    exit 64
    ;;
esac

--
Mike Meyer					http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Freelance WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,		email for rates.