Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:19:31 -0500
From:      Ryugen@palaver.org (Ryugen C. Fisher)
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: single user mode -- from afar

At 03:39 PM 4/14/00, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>* Ryugen C. Fisher <Ryugen@palaver.org> [000414 13:25] wrote:
> > This may seem to be "real dumb" BUT, I would like to be able to boot a
> > FreeBSD 3.3 server about 600 miles from here into single user mode.. and
> > access it via its IP addy/telnet to maintenance. It this at all possible?
> > Do I need a program other than telnet to use for this sort of remote admin?
>
>A serial console would make this possible.
>
>--
>-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
>"I have the heart of a child; I keep it in a jar on my desk."

I can see the comconsole page in the ports set, but have not installed it
nor looked at the DOC.
As first glance, however, any serial console would have to be set to a
local RS232 would it not? and if not, how do you make it otherwise...   I
am sure this is old hat to some, but to the likes of me it is 'the mystery
of mysteries'   ....
Ryugen, that "Old Frog" hisself
Ryugen@palaver.org