Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2002 00:47:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:          Re: missing: usr.bin/rdist - used: ports/net/rdist6

"M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> : > - Please consider restoring rdist to FreeBSD.  Thanks.
>
> And the number of security problems with rdist are legion.  A large
> component of the decision to remove it from the base was the high
> incidence of security problems with the original code.  That, coupled
> with the rdist6 incompatibility and the better alternatives, lead us
> to remove it from the tree rather than update the code.

Thanks Warner, OK "security problems ... legion" ... fair enough !

> Next thing you'll be wanting perl back in the base system :-)

<Chuckle>, not me :-)

I didn't want to consume list time on a discussion if rdist had
been  previously debated & lost, but I had no idea current had
debated it.  rdist might have been one of those commits that just
slip through without much review sometimes.  I haven't been tracking
current for a long time prior to call for DP2 tester, (so perhaps
I'm a good tester, 'cos I'll trip & fall on what you long term current
folk know to step over/round, & not trip on), but I Did first first ask:
        Has this been well debated already ? or should I file a Send-PR ?
& until my last post, I saw no indication of previous debate.
Only then did I get:
        Mark M's "Debate over."
        Kris's: [...Other stale arguments deleted...]
(which probably crossed with mail batch reading & timezones, with mine).

Julian Stacey
jhs @ berklix.com   Computer Systems Engineer, Unix & Net Consultant, Munich.
   Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren.
   European BSD Conference, Munich Pre-Planning  http://berklix.org/conf/