Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:35:27 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Documenting sysV IPC tunables.

* John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG> [001107 15:33] wrote:

> On 07-Nov-00 Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > * Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [001107 14:58] wrote:
> >> I have a patch here that I'd like to get into LINT for 4.2,
> >> it _finally_ documents the sysV IPC tunables.
> >>
> >> I'll also be applying this patch to NOTES for -current.
> >
> > Bah, someone beat me for -current, but I like my patch better
> > because it groups the options together with the "include support for"
> > options.
>
> Why not reorder what is already in NOTES then rather than cutting out most of
> the comments?  The existing comments in -current are more verbose and helpful
> to people trying to read it to learn.  I don't think this really qualifies as a
> bug fix, but it is up to Jordan if he'll let you MFC it.

Actually, I'm up for MFC'ing the current set of documentation or applying
my patch directly to LINT (and leaving NOTES alone).  I'll let Jordan
make the call on what he'd like to see in 4.x.

I'd really like to see this get done because of what I see on the
postrgresql lists and my own experiances not having fun trying to
tune for semaphores and shared memory by having to grovel through the
kernel source to get a clue as to what each tunable does.

It would be a really nice 'feature' to be in 4.2 and not having
these things documented almost qualifies as a bug.