Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 1996 22:38:40 -0800
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@obie.softweyr.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Most stable VLB (was EISA) SCSI controller?

Some gentle soul queried:
 >     Does anyone know which EISA SCSI controller is the "most stable"
 >under FreeBSD 2.1R?

Justin T. Gibbs replied:
 > If you don't want to get a 2742, get a 1742.  If you can't find a
 > 1742, get a bt747.  The 2742 has 1/3rd the command overhead of
 > the 1742 and does tagged queueing.  The 2742 has 1/5th the command
 > overhead of the bt747 and even though the bt747 may support tagged
 > queueing, our driver does not.  The 2742 is by far the best EISA
 > controller we support, but if upgrading the 2.1-STABLE is not an
 > option, then pick one of the other two controllers.  The ahc driver
 > in 2.1-STABLE is, as the name implies, much more stable. :)

I assume all the same applies to the 2842?  Is the driver actually the
same?  And, should I get one of these jewels, should I immediately,
if not sooner, upgrade to 2.1-STABLE?  Enquiring minds want to know!

A second question for the group: a few mail-order houses are carrying
the 2842 sans EZ-SCSI software, for about $40 discount.  Other vendors
tell me they shouldn't be doing this.  My local hardware house often
carries Adaptec kits w/o EZ-SCSI, but not in the 2842.  Should I go
ahead and buy from these guys who don't feel it necessary to sell me
software I don't want or need?  ;^)

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder