Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:31:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Alex Teslik" <alex@acatysmoof.com>
To:        ffmpeg-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, steve@sohara.org, lioux@uol.com.br
Subject:   Ffmpeg for FreeBSD (was: ffserver compile)

Hello,

Well, I can't help you with the mencoder bit, but on June 1st I
downloaded CVS and built a FreeBSD port skeleton that I am now using to
stream video encoded with ffmpeg. The CVS was modified to use the
native FreeBSD Brooktree drivers patch by Steve O'Hara-Smith instead if
the V4L drivers, and it works great! I've been live-streaming Realmedia
and ASF for 10 days with no problems.
Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira, the official FreeBSD maintainer of
ffmpeg, fixed my port a bit (it was my first try) and made sure
everything installed and de-installed properly. So, now its kind of the
very-unofficial 4.6.0alpha "not-really-a-release".
You can download the port skeleton at
http://www.acatysmoof.com/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-skeleton.tar.gz. Untar and
gunzip it to /usr/ports/graphics/ffmpeg, overwriting the original 4.5.0
skeleton. Run "make install clean" as usual and it will automatically
download the 4.6.0alpha file from my server (CVS from June 1st) and
install to your system, patch the CVS, and register with the ports
database as ffmpeg4.6.0a.
You might need to modify patch-libav::grab.c before you build to look
at the correct input of your bktr device by changing the line:

+    c = METEOR_INPUT_DEV0

+    c = METEOR_INPUT_DEV1

or whatever number gets your input working.

Right now patch-libav::grab.c is also hard-coded to NTSC. You can
change it to PAL by changing the lines:

+   int format = NTSC         /*NTSC one day*/
+   int frame_time = 33333   /* PAL time */

to:

+   int format = PAL         /*NTSC one day*/
+   int frame_time = 40000   /* PAL time */

These times are in microseconds.

My server is slow, so feel free to mirror.

HTH,
Alex

P.S.- Some people have reported ffmpeg to be half the CPU usage of
mencoder (I havn't verified this myself, but it sounds nice).

P.P.S.- Of course a massive thanks to Steve and Mario (who did all the
hard work). I really did very little except email them to death and try
to push this to a cleaner state for the FreeBSD'ers.

> Has anyone considered removing the dependencies on the video capture
devices
> from ffserver?  Im trying to build on FreeBSD and would like to use
mencoder
> to generate the stream, send it to ffserver to be rebroadcasted.
Unfortunatly

henrich@msu.edu