Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:12:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: More on Netfinity 7100 SMP issue ...

On 03-Nov-00 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, John Baldwin wrote:
>

>> On 02-Nov-00 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>> >
>> > Just wondering if this should be telling me anything?  I'm working withthe
>> > IBM folks right now on getting this rectified, but don't know if this
>> > gives me more information to throw at them?
>> >
>> > Booting up latest -stable kernel, boot -v gives me:
>> >
>> > SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
>> > SMP: CPU: apic_initialize():
>> >       lint0: 0x00010700 lint1: 0x00010400 TPR: 00000010 SVR: 000001ff
>> > <hang here>
>> >
>> > Again, the machine itself doesn't appear to be hanging, as I can do a
>> > ctl-alt-del to reboot, it shuts down CPU#0 and everything ...
>> >
>> > tomorrow morning, I'm going to hook a laptop up to the serial console and
>> > do a full 'boot -v' and see if maybe that provides more info?
>>
>> Compile DDB into the kernel.  When it hangs hit Ctrl-Alt-Esc to break into
>> the debugger.  Then use 'trace' to get a stacktrace to see where it is
>> spinning, and use 'ps' to get a list of the current processes.  You might
>> want to do this with serial console so can you do DDB over the serial
>> console and cut and paste all the info.
>
> Okay, for my stupid question of the day ... we hooked a win laptop to
> serial console, run crt on it, boot with boot.config option of -P and took
> out keyboard.  serial console works fine, hit ctrl-alt-esc and I get the
> Windows start menu coming up, not DDB debugger though ...

You'd have to hit Ctrl-Alt-Esc on the BSD box.  You can also add the option
BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER to the kernel and send a break signal to drop into the
debugger as well.

> read man page for boot, figured that -D option would get me to serial
> console/video, figured wrong ...
>
> anyone can suggest either software to use on the laptop or how to get into
> DDB through CRT?
>
> Oh, thought about the BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER option, but can't find a way in
> CRT to issue a break signal ...

Doh.  Ok, do this:  plug a keyboard into the BSD box.  Use the "-h" option
to boot2 to force a serial console (or if that doesn't work, type
'set console=comconsole' at the loader prompt with the keyboard, and then the
serial console should start working).  Leave the keyboard plugged in to the BSD
box and use Ctrl-Alt-Esc on that keyboard to break into the debugger.