Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:04:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Treading on toes (was: O'Reilly article: Whence the  Source:  Untangling the Open Source/Free Software Debate)

Hi,

(cc: list trimmed)

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 09:16 PM 3/11/99 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:

> >Perhaps the next time you come across a problem you'd like to address,
> >you should start off by saying "I've noticed the ports for 2.2.8 aren't
> >being updated as frequently as -STABLE anymore, and I'd like to help.
> >I can serve as a coordinator for this project, and can handle the XXX
> >and YYY ports myself.  Would anybody like to join me in assisting in
> >this, and does anyone have any suggestions of where I might troll for
> >more volunteers."
>
> Well, if I said that, I wouldn't have been saying what I was actually
> proposing. I wasn't proposing to update specific ports but rather to
> do something more fundamental: make it so that it's easy for every
> port maintainer to keep ports updated for older versions with little
> or no effort.

And have you talked to Satoshi about this?  I gave you his name and
email address (not that it's not in the handbook as "ports coordinator."

Have you coded up a little test case so people (especially Satoshi) can
review it?

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *