Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 10:34:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        swaits@pr.erau.edu (Stephen Waits)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPX/Netware 4?

> Is anyone working on IPX and/or a Netware 4.x client for FreeBSD?  Server?

IPX patches were posted a while back.  They are on tape at home somewhere
and I'm sure they are in the list archives.

The client is relatively easy compared to the server, and the client
isn't that easy.

I noticed you specified 4.x.

You would have to reverse engineer packet signatures and the directory
services login.  It took 10 mathematicians at Microsoft a year to do
that... makes sense, it's all based on RSA.

Or you'd have to use bindery emulation and turn of packet signatures
on the server.

On the server, you'd have to implement ~1500 API's.  That's what we had
to do at Novell when we implemented NetWare for UNIX.  Or you could
implement the minimum number of API's, maybe by watching an NT server
handle NT and Win95 NetWare client requests to see the subset of NCP's
they actually implemented.

Or you could license the Puzzle systems code and port it.  It uses the
BPF and is NetWare 3.11 compatible (no packet burst, no packet signatures,
bindery only).

Or you could license NWU from Novell and port it.

Last I heard, cost on licensing was:

	$100,000	NUC, the NetWare UNIX Client
	$150,000	NWU, the NetWare for UNIX Server

	$250,000	NUC, NWU, and UnixWare (hmmmm... I wonder where
			the value in UnixWare is)

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---