Date:      Sat, 02 Feb 2002 19:20:41 -0500
From:      Yarema <yds@CoolRat.org>
To:        Alex Dupre <sysadmin@alexdupre.com>
Cc:        Ports FreeBSD <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: pdflib 4.0.2

--On Sunday, February 03, 2002 00:01:02 +0100 Alex Dupre
<sysadmin@alexdupre.com> wrote:

> Yarema wrote:
>> OK, got it now.  The perl lib issue is a non-issue in my opinion.
>> FreeBSD ports don't use it to create dependencies.  So long as it works
>> its fine.
>
> Perfect...I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't sure.
>
>> I  added a post-patch: target to substitute ../libtool with
>> /usr/local/bin/libtool
>
> I found a better way to do it, look the pr:

I tried it that way and didn't particularly like it because you're still
not using the FreeBSD installed libtool.  The reason I rolled that
post-patch target was to avoid using the libtool provided by pdflib itself.
If LIBTOOLFILES does not point at an aclocal.m4 then USE_LIBTOOL patches
configure itself to use /usr/local/bin/libtool.  I was just helping it
along by patching all the Makefile.in files to do what USE_LIBTOOL does to
the configure script.

Granted that your way works, but the reason USE_LIBTOOL was invented was to
avoid relying on the libtool provided by the vendor which might not always
do things the "FreeBSD way".

Honestly I don't know if I was doing the right thing or you are.  Above is
just the reasoning I followed to for cutting LIBTOOLFILES out of your
patch.  Using LIBTOOLFILES definitely looks much cleaner and my way might
actually be wrong, but my way seemed more in line with the reason
USE_LIBTOOL was invented in the first place.

I'm posting this to ports@FreeBSD.org -- perhaps some of the gurus there
can enlighten us on which is the Right Thing (TM) to do.

--
Yarema