Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2013 14:37:51 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ulrich_Sp=F6rlein?= <uqs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current CURRENT <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: No gcc by default in -HEAD on platforms where clang is cc

On 9 Sep 2013, at 14:27, Ulrich Sp=F6rlein <uqs@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Case in point, I only recently switched to clang in base and now the
> newsbeuter port crashes during startup (yeah, it builds fine). So all
> I'm asking for now is: how can I override a random port to be built =
with
> gcc (either from base or ports, I don't care). And what special
> considerations need to be done when the port uses C++.

Setting USE_GCC=3Dany to build with any gcc, or USE_GCC=3Dyes to build =
with a gcc from ports (they should do the same thing on a no-gcc-in-base =
system)

For C++ ports, can you check whether the error is from libc++ or clang, =
by first building libstdc++ from base and then setting =
CXXFLAGS=3D-stdlib=3Dlibstdc++ and LDFLAGS=3D-stdlib=3Dlibstdc++?  This =
will build it with libstdc++ and if that works then it narrows the issue =
down. =20

Also, don't forget to report bugs to the port maintainer...

David