Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Seva Gluschenko <gvs@rinet.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/38801: sasl_apop_patch.gz breaks LOGIN mech (SMTP AUTH)

The following reply was made to PR ports/38801; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Seva Gluschenko <gvs@rinet.ru>
To: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, <noc@rinet.ru>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:27:03 +0400 (MSD)

 Hello, Scot,

 Message of Scot W. Hetzel at Aug 29 22:38 ...

 SWH> The only problem I had was a mismatch between the servers
 SWH> 'hostname' and DNS.  The problem is that saslpasswd uses
 SWH> `hostname` found on the system for the default realm.  While
 SWH> sendmail does a DNS lookup to determine the hostname of the mail
 SWH> server, and then uses it for the SASL realm name.

 A-ha, got it. That's maybe a real root of problem, 'cause I never
 tried to reuse another realm. The domain name might be completely
 different, not just a case variant (that host serves several
 domains). Pityfully, sendmail provides no information about the realm
 it asked in its logs, so I didn't recognized the problem myself. Thank
 you for your point.

 SWH> I also tested the SASL library without the APOP patch and had the
 SWH> same problem due to mismatched realms between sendmail and the
 SWH> sasldb database.

 SWH> I don't know why you had success with the removal of the APOP
 SWH> patch, unless someone had changed the case of the DNS entry for
 SWH> the server, while you were testing.

 nope, for sure. I'm using cyrus-sasl compiled by hand (not from ports)
 on several hosts serving many virtual domains and I never had negative
 experience with that. Right now I have successfully authorized SASL
 users which use realm taken from 'hostname' while it couldn't be taken
 from DNS back-resolve at all.

 SWH> If you could setup a test server, give it another try with the
 SWH> APOP patch and let us know the results.

 Not right now, but I'll put it onto pending state. If I have newer
 information, I'll report. Thank you again.

 SY, Seva Gluschenko, just stranger on The Road. | http://gvs.rinet.ru/
 Cronyx Plus / RiNet network administrator.      | GVS-RIPE | GVS3-RIPN