Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2013 07:52:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: AARGH... give me some idea for ad-blockers

________________________________
From: RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sent: Monday, January 7, 2013 9:34 AM

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 14:32:35 +0100
Polytropon wrote:

> Today I don't need to deal with this question anymore. I've
> been using a "two browsers approach": Firefox with "Flash"
> installed, everything works as intended, and Opera as my
> main browser, with "Flash" deactivated, and quite picky
> about what sites are allowed to do. If I urgently need to
> access something that doesn't show in Opera, I'll use
> Firefox for this one occassion. :-)

There's also an Opera setting "enable plugins only on on demand". With
that setting if you click on a place-holder it becomes activated until
you leave the page.

It is indeed a sad fact of life that surfing the web has become so bloated with ads of every kind imaginable. I watched this morning as it took several minutes just for a yahoo page to load because it was stuffed full of advertisements. I recall the good ole days back in 1996 when the Internet first started and ads were not to be found. I think we have lost our way and the Internet has become a boondoggle with everyone shouting and competing for money instead of the free and open exchange of information.

I'm no prude. I think ads have their place. But just like this posting shows, there is no simple, sure-fire way to just turn them off when you don't want them. If you change the settings on Flash or other plug-ins you may very well inhibit your ability to do what you want with the net. I just wish there was a way to stop all this non-sense of ads for everything from consuming my bandwidth.