Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 12:03:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Jim <jim@netquick.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making an Image/cloning a system

> Greetings,

Hi, Jim.

> 	A way to clone the setup so we can continue to use it, and learn as we
> grow.

Use rsync.  It's in the ports collection.  I routinely back up hundreds of
megabytes over a 33.6 modem with it.  I recommend you use it with OpenSSH,
which is also in the ports collection and has been incorporated into the
base system of FreeBSD recently.  The SSH protocol provides for encrypted
transmission of your data, so it can't be sniffed.

> 	A recommendation for a low cost tape Drive that will back up 10
> Gigabytes.

I heard a salesman from Ecrix (www.ecrix.com) who talked a good talk, but
I have no personal experience with their products.  if you can convince
them you're the right sort of "dot.com" I think they offer a discount of
20% or thereabouts.  They used to, anyway.  If "the setup" you'll be
cloning is not just the hardware and system software but also the data,
then perhaps a tape drive would be superfluous--if a clone died, you could
just make another.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt