Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:54:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP modem not recognized at boot, but by pnpinfo(8)

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Mark Ovens wrote:

> Just thought of something. Does your BIOS have a ``PnP OS'' option?.
> If so, what is it set to, and what happens if you change it from "yes"
> to "no" or vice versa.

Yes it does! I always wondered what it was about. :)) I'll try to fiddle
with it.

> The last line of your pnpinfo(8) shows that the modem is not
> initialized:

Humm... Interesting. Never took notice of that.

> -- card select # 0x0001
>
> CSN CIR2000 (0x0020320d), Serial Number 0xffffffff
>
> Logical device #0
> IO:  0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000
> IRQ 0 0
> DMA 4 4
> IO range check 0x00 activate 0x00
>
> Maybe you need to let the BIOS initialize the card (PnP OS == "n")?

Hey, why not, I'll take a look.

> > Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
> > C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
> > L'important ne serait que de voir
>
> If the image gives the illusion of knowledge(?)
> It is what the ???????? for thought(?)
> It is not important to know what is seen(?)

You got the first line OK, but let me try to rephrase:

If the image gives the illusion of knowing (or knowledge)
It's because the saying pretends that to believe,
The important would only be to see

This is related to the saying "Il faut le voir pour le croire", that I
think has the english equivalent of "Seeing is believing".

And Lofofora is a french rock/punk band. ;)

Thanks for your help.

Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
L'important ne serait que de voir

Lofofora