Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:43:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   using wdm

Hi all,
I followed Daemonnews' lesson to install wdm on my system.  Maybe
since i chose wdm instead of xdm, that might be the source of my
problems.  Here is what i did:

new file .xsession:
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/wm

(or whatever the path is.  this file is the same as .xinitrc, so i
know it should work)

new file: /etc/rc.local:
/usr/X11R6/bin/wdm

(or whtever the path is here, as well)

Here is the problem.  Wdm doesn't appear.  The system starts to the
console and waits.  Then, when i run startx the usual way, after about
20 seconds, the wdm login window appears.  After i log in, it
disappears, then comes back one more time.  Then after that log in, it
goes away.  Why doesn't the system start in X mode like it should?
WHy does the wdm login window appear twice?

"Do not taunt the Happy Fun Ball."