Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 11:55:57 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/kbdcontrol kbdcontrol.1 kbdcontrol.c

Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail-in.net> writes:
> On Sat, 26 May 2001 17:47:38 -0700 (PDT), Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > dd          2001/05/26 17:47:38 PDT
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     usr.sbin/kbdcontrol  kbdcontrol.1 kbdcontrol.c
> >   Log:
> >   Add a -c option which clears the history buffer using the new
> >   CONS_CLRHIST ioctl.
>
> Does it really belong to kbdcontrol(1)? For me it looks
> counter-intuitive as this feature has nothing to do with
> keyboard at all. IMO this (and `-h' BTW) option should be
> moved into vidcontrol(1).

I agree, but please think of backwards compatibility.  -c is young
enough that moving it to vidcontrol is no problem.  -h, however, is
different; it's already in -stable, and has been there for a long
time.  I suggest that we move both to vidcontrol, and have `kbdcontrol
-h` print a "this option is now option -X in vidcontrol" or something
similar.  I'll do the necessary work for this.

> This also would solve bootstrap issue.

Not quite.  It would just hide it until somebody adds an option to
kbdcontrol which really does belong there.  The fact that we have a
highly system-specific (i.e., depends on intricacies in the kernel)
tool being used to bootstrap the system is still a problem.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org