Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 13:29:51 -0800
From:      Nesi Unanaowo <nesi_unanaowo@net.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Printing/Complile problems

--------------291C83DA8BA499C1540EB6C0

Hi FreeBSD Community,
I have two problems, they are not directly related but thought
i might kill two birdies with a single stone.

1) In the process of compling a print filter program ---a2ps-4.12
I get the follow message and the program terminates:

rawhide# ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking whether build environment is sane... configure: error: ls -t
appears to f
ail.  Make sure there is not a broken
alias in your environment.
configure: error: newly created file is older than distributed files!
Check your system clock.

2) I have installed a program -- dj-printcap . This is a small
collection of files that enables Deskjet print Postscript and
Unix style text files. The installation runs without any problem
and the appropriate entries are made in the /etc/printcap file
which is attached.
But when i send a print job to the printer nothing comes out.
The printer kicks in as soon as the job is sent and makes some
noise and actually attempts to move the paper from the tray and
then some more noise as if it printing  then all of a sudden the noise
stops and nothing comes out but the printer activity light keeps
blinking. I have to turn the printer off to stop the blinking and
retract a blank sheet of paper.
I tested printing on this printer and it worked even though the
output wasn't as expected since no filter was used.
By the way this program runs fine under Redhat Linux 5.2
I am running FreeBSD 3.0

Any suggestions/pointers will be  appreciated.

TIA
-Nesi

--------------291C83DA8BA499C1540EB6C0

#
# Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
# All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
# provided that this notice is preserved and that due credit is given
# to the University of California at Berkeley. The name of the University
# may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
# software without specific prior written permission. This software
# is provided ``as is'' without express or implied warranty.
#
#       @(#)etc.printcap        5.2 (Berkeley) 5/5/88
#

# HP DeskJet 520 (Text)