Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 20:28:20 +0700 (KRAT)
From:      Oleg Kolobov <oleg@lib.tpu.ru>
To:        Juha.Nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS P55T2P4 & freeze the time

Hello Juha,

> Search the mailinglist archives on freebsd.org
> for "stuck wallclock", "time not progressing", "AMD K5" etc.
> You'll find about enabling APM, timecounter.method
> and other workarounds.
The first thing the mailinglist :) if there are some problem
with a new release. I see. I changed support APM and changed
timecounter.method to 1, but the system time not progressing.

> I have a quick outlaw suggestion for fix, find
> the single line in
> 	/sys/i386/i386/swtch.s
> where reads
> 	hlt # and some comments
> Delete it, and compile/install/reboot new kernel.
> I would be surprised if this did not cure the problem.
> Old K5 cpus have this bug, TSC timer freezes in HALT condition.
A new release (3.3) is working on my oldest box (AMD K5:) in
the real time with new patched kernel.

Thanks!
--

                                               Oleg.